Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Now that's DIRTY!

So I just got back from a shopping trip at my FAVORITE place ever: Whole Foods (yes, my credit card is going APE-SH** on my right now because of course I spent LOADS!)... I love that store so much though, I don't know what it is because it always calms me down and makes me happy!


Any ways, while I was surfing the produce section for some spinach, bell peppers and leeks, I started thinking about conventional vs. organic... I bought organic spinach (@ $5.99 per pound) and I bought conventional red bell peppers (@ $.99 each - I got 5!)... As for the leeks, I got 2 (@ $2.99 a pound)...


So yea, I know that bell peppers should be bought organic, but am I really willing to spend $4.99 a pound on ORGANIC BELL PEPPERS (or simply orange or yellow for that matter) when the bigger, harder, delicious conventional peppers are SO MUCH cheaper?! Well I guess it really is up to the BUYER and whether or not they want to consume pesticides, and in this case, BRING EM' ON!!!


Wanna know some of the dirtiest pieces of produce around that should be bought organic... here goes:



THE FAMOUS DIRTY DOZEN!

1. Peaches
2. Apples
3. Sweet Bell Peppers
4. Celery
5. Nectarines
6. Strawberries
7. Cherries
8. Lettuce
9. Grapes
10. Pears
11. Spinach
12. Potatoes



THE STRAIGHT EDGE & PRUDE DOZEN (ha ha!)

1. Onions
2. Avocado
3. Sweet Corn (frozen)
4. Pineapples
5. Mango
6. Sweet Peas (frozen)
7. Asparagus
8. Kiwi
9. Bananas
10. Cabbage
11. Broccoli
12. Eggplan
t

*Yes I know you ALL love my color coding! ha ha*




So what's your preference, do you like your fruits & veggies DIRTY or CLEAN?! Is cost a major factor or are you all about health and not wanting chemicals in your body?! I do agree that we must treat our bodies well, but sometimes I just cannot get myself to buy ONE bell pepper at $4.99!!


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. That organic spinach just mugged your wallet and left it for dead.

    ReplyDelete