Saturday, March 28, 2009

Man's Best Friend... A Life Saver?




Who doesn't love a trusty companion like a cat or a dog. You can talk to them about absolutely anything without being judged and no matter what, they will love you... After all, you do feed them - ha! ha! Did you know that your best bud has positive effects on your health? Well believe it because owning a pet is ideal for well-being!


(Loki)
BENEFITS:
- Lower Cholesterol
- Reduced Stress = Lower Blood Pressure
- Increased Physical Activity (the pet needs a work out)
- Increased Mental Health (less lonely & depressed)
- Some Pets can Predict Seizures!
- Feel as Though You Have a Purpose
- Be Less Anxious & Feel Safer
- Those Who Have Experienced a Heart Attack Could Have a Higher Survival Rate
- Encourage Playfulness & Laughter
- Help Start Conversations With Others
- Give Nonjudgmental Warmth & Affection

(RIP: Jackson, October 5, 1996 - January 14, 2009)
The reason for this post is because my family has had dogs ever since I was about 5 years old... and Recently my oldest dog (Jackson) passed away. He was the family's best friend and honestly, I think he was a person stuck in a dog's body! He had such a wonderful personality and really taught my family "what not to do" when it comes to training... But despite his stubbornness, we loved him more than anything else. We do have another dog named Cody who is a great companion as well... and loves attention! Recently, we got a new puppy named Colter (5 months old at the moment) who is already showing signs of Jackson! Sadly, with me away at college I won't necessarily get to benefit from his health promoting attributes (listed above) but... I know my parents will be very pleased and continue to exercise and live healthy lives.
(Cody & Colter)

* All Dogs are German Shepherds and a part of my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment